Happy 3rd birthday to Kelsi. We had a great day yesterday (June 30). We had a fun breakfast, fingerpainted, bubble bath, lunch at the park, Grandmas over for dinner and cake and ice cream in the court with all of our friends. Happy Birthday Kelsi! We are so glad that you are in our family!!!
We also really enjoyed the days up to it. My friends talked me into taking a Wilton cake decorating class at Michaels and this week was the last week of the first class, so I decided to make Kelsi's birthday cake. I realized I am not going to be able to take the rest of the classes for a while because 2 1/2 hours is too long for Devin that close to bedtime, so I decided to try my hand at fondant figures, which you don't learn until the 3rd class. A friend had mentioned marshmallow fondant so off we went! The girls and I started a week early making 2 figures a day. The recipe is really easy- the hardest part is mixing in enough color. Jessica was with me every step of the way kneading the fondant and rolling it out. She even woke me up in the morning with "let's go make a zebra!" Kelsi was there for a lot of it, rolling some, mixing some and eating some. :) So- the girls and I had a lot of fun and here is the final product.
The best part of the whole thing was when Kelsi woke up in the morning I told her happy birthday and took her in to the kitchen, opened the fridge and showed her the cake. She LOVED it!
Grandpa is holding a card that Jessica made for him. Here he is the day before he passed away in the hospital. Devin is the first boy born that will pass on the Swenson name for 5 generations- of Devin's Great Great Grandfather's posterity. Hopefully there will be many more- Richard. :).
7 comments:
I'm so impressed with the cake!!! It looks amazing. I took the first Wilton class with my sister and we had so much fun with it. We are trying to find another on to take this summer. Your fondant figures are amazing. You have a darling family!
Ashley, that cake is amazing! I'm not surprised Kelsi liked it so much. I'd better not show it to Matt yet. I need to go make his birthday cupcakes right now, and I'm lucky if the frosting stays on in the right place! :) Perhaps I should go take a Wilton class, too. It certainly couldn't hurt.
By the way, I figured out how to make those flowers. They're awesome!
First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kelsi!!!!
Wow, the cake is adorable!!!!! Now Jessica's expectations will be high for her birthday. :) I'm sure her cake will be just as amazing.
I think you'd like this blog series if you haven't seen it yet. http://www.makeit-loveit.com/
on the right hand side there is a button for the cake decorating series.
Happy Birthday Kelsi! That cake turned out amazing! What a great post with cute, cute pictures!
Awesome cake! Especially after only 1 class! I love using marsmallow fondant - it's yummy!
Happy Birthday Kelsi!!!! How is it possible she was born three years ago already?
I'm dying to try that fondant- and that strawberry cream cheese looks delicious! Looks like you guys had a great time and congrats to DJ on the triathlon!
your cake is amazing! your family is so artistic- i am always impressed.
Post a Comment