busy busy busy

HAPPY EASTER!!!
Happy Easter- I hope everyone had a great weekend. We did!

I have been REALLY busy lately... Okay most of it is brought on by myself. A big time-consumer is that I am training for my first thing ever- a triathlon (sprint distance) that is THIS SATURDAY!!!! (I'm just a little nervous) It is the Telos Timp Tri on April 18th in Orem. It involves a 5K run, 10 mile bike ride and just under 1/4 mile swim-one after the other. Wish me luck! It feels so good to be getting in shape and I love the balance of a triathlon instead of a marathon (like my sisters did- crazy), especially because the running is my least favorite part- but I am improving. Last Saturday I ran my very first 5K (I know- pathetic) but I achieved my goal of running the ENTIRE time, even when I so wanted to walk after the HUGE hill(s).

I have also been visiting my mom who just had successful knee surgery and is in recovery. She is doing really well, but I know it is so hard for her. LOTS of Physical Therapy. GO MOM!!!


The other thing I have been up to is teaching my neighbors to sew! Teaching really is my love- I majored well (Home Ec Ed.) It all started with a skirt Jessica's friend Noelle was wearing... everyday. I borrowed it and made a pattern from it and realized how easy and fast it would be to make... Noelle's mom, Tami, sews, but has never sewn garments so I decided to teach her. Then I talked to this person, and another person... and pretty quickly it grew. In my family we have a saying that pretty much describes all of the women. "If it is worth doing, it is worth doing to death." So, 10 skirts later (3 matching for my girls, 2 for cousin Pyper and 1 for cousin Rachel) I am calling it quits for a while... but the ball is still rolling. So far the court total not including mine are 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 1/2 +... My sister Kelley is also on a sewing binge right now, so it has been fun to trade stories. So... I am a true teacher and made a handout that explains how to make the skirt, how much fabric to by, measurements, instructions- complete with diagrams. Silly me- but it has been fun (and easier to type it out once and have it forever). If you want a copy of the pattern, just let me know and I can email it to you.

Another reason I have not shared photos recently is that I lost our new camera. Brittany came to visit with her 3 kids to go skiing for the weekend, and when they left, I couldn't find the camera, and still couldn't find it... I figured it would just show up as we cleaned up. Finally, 2 weeks later before Easter Weekend I was cleaning (again) and packing and I prayed that I could find it. I thought to look in Jessica's backpack for Kelsi's sandal that was also missing, and there was the camera (a little worse for the wear) mixed in with all her treasured toys she has been carting around for the last several weeks. It is found!!! Yeah!!! It is so nice that Heavenly Father answers all kinds of prayers, even about cameras.

8 comments:

Tiff said...

LOOK at your adorable girls!!! So cute!

Janci Olds said...

Oooh, I want your skirt pattern. Share?

Also, in that top picture, Jessica looks just like DJ, and Kelsi looks just like you. So adorable.

Robyn said...

Looks like you've been having lots of fun!. I definitely want your skirt pattern!

JoLynn said...

I want to skirt pattern. Sewing is really not my thing, mainly because I am scared of it, but I would love to try making a skirt. You are so talented! Good luck with your race!

Kelley said...

Rachel wore the skirt on Saturday and looked positively adorable. We even took several pictures that, come to think of it, I should probably get around to posting sometime soon. Thank you!

I ended up taking the skirt I made almost completely apart in the back and fixing the godet by making it smaller. I'm also adjusting the waistband and adding a lining. I know - me and linings. I'll post pictures once it's done and I'm happy with it.

Kelley said...

Oh, and good luck with the race. Maybe you'll inspire me to get off my keister. Maybe. :)

JenW said...

i want a skirt pattern!! good for you, and good job for doing the triathalon...that's so awesome!

JenW said...

i want a skirt pattern!! good for you, and good job for doing the triathalon...that's so awesome!