Camping!

We just went on our ward camp out this weekend and it was a lot of fun. Who knew, though, that when they booked the site and date in December that we would have a cold front come through in the middle of August. It was a lot of fun, but truthfully, quite cold. Thankfully, it only rained for a few minutes at the beginning of dinner, and then it cleared up.

Here are Jessica, Duncan and Kelsi sitting under the tree keeping dry.

My favorite thing in this picture is Kelsi's hot dog stick. It is only about 6 inches long, but she was adamant.

We got there in time to put up our tent before it started raining, and it drizzled while they served dinner. A bunch of people from the ward came up for dinner, games and s'mores, but then headed back down the canyon to sleep, for some strange reason.
We had a great time staying up late roasting marshmallows and talking. I knew it was going to be cold, so I came prepared with lots of blankets, sleeping bags, hats and rain jackets for all. We did pretty well until about 3:00 in the morning when first Jes woke up and climbed into DJ's sleeping bag, (Then complained if he tried to adjust positions) then Kelsi woke up crying and was inconsolable. I tried putting her in my sleeping bag, but it was too confining, she didn't want to lay next to me... but she didn't mind if I held her sitting up... so I did that... for a while... until her head fell back and she was asleep. Then I put her in bed between our sleeping bags with lots of blankets. Thankfully, I had brought fleece hats for both girls and that helped a ton. After a bit, DJ started moving all over the place, and since we were on an air mattress, I was bouncing up and down. I finally asked him what he was doing. He had fallen off the edge of the mattress since their were two extra people on it and was trying to get back on without squishing Jes. I laughed and reached over and attempted to help haul up the sleeping bag. We didn't get much sleep that night, but we had a great time. :)

My parents have a 4 foot crawl space under their house and we use it for storage. Since we were halfway there anyway, we decided to go straight there and unload and store all of our camping gear that we will not be using until next summer. Kelsi of course fell asleep in the car, and I guess we looked a little bedraggled so my mom offered to watch Jes and keep an eye on Kelsi sleeping while we took a nap. I had a lot of inertia napping. It took forever to go to sleep and then FOREVER to wake up. When I woke up, I glimpsed DJ and Jes in the hot tub and immediately rummaged through one of my old drawers and found a very old swimming suit and shorts, which still somewhat fit over the pregnant belly... and hopped in. It felt SOOOOOOOO good. Then they ordered pizza and we just had a delightful time. Now I need to go finish my Primary lesson. Any ideas?

Here are some more pictures from the campout.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Oh, that sounds like fun! No wonder there was so much chaos when I called Mom's house. :)

I love that last picture of Jes. She looks like a cat!

Tiff said...

BAAAAAAAAAAAA-hahahahahaha! I LOVE that hot dog stick! LOL!